What is a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)?
The Working Holiday Visa is a temporary Australian visa that allows you to work while travelling. These 12-month visas are issued under a program of cultural exchange between Australia and certain nations with the intention to promote diversity and intercultural understanding. You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 and meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa:
- Hold a valid passport from an eligible country
- Have proof of English proficiency (waived for nationals of English-speaking countries)
- Meet the education requirement
- Meet the health requirement
- Be outside Australia when this visa is granted (in most cases these visas cannot be renewed or extended)
- Have sufficient funds to support yourself (approximately AUD $5,000)
- Have a return ticket or proof of funds for a return ticket to depart Australia
According to the Australian Government, you can not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.
There are two categories of Working Holiday Visas: Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and the Working and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462). The main difference between these two visas is the eligible countries.
Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) Eligible Countries
- Hong Kong
- Republic of Cyprus
- Republic of Korea
- United Kingdom
Click here to view the list of eligible countries for the Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462).
What are the benefits of a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)?
The unique thing about this visa is that it allows you to travel Australia and work during your stay. It is a wonderful way to experience the country and continue to have an income.
How can I apply for a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)?
Step 1: Prepare all the required documents, supporting documents
In order to submit a complete application the Australian Government requires you must present:
- Certified copies of the first two (biographical) pages of your passport
- A Certified copy of your Birth Certificate
- Two (2) Recent Passport-style Photos (45mm x 35mm dimensions) with your name written in print on the back of the photo;and
- A certified copy of a bank statement showing you have sufficient funds to support your stay in Australia (showing at least AUD 5,000)
Step 2: Lodge your Application Online or Complete Form 1150
You can apply online by lodging your application. If you cannot apply online, the prepare and complete Form 1150.
Step 3: Prepare the payment
Step 4: Attend a Consular Interview
Step 5: Wait for a decision
Step 6: Receive your visa and start working and traveling
How much does it cost to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)?
The cost of the visa changes from time to time. In June 2016 the cost was estimated at AUD $440.