Simplifying Immigration | We are not operated or affiliated nor endorsed by a government agency

Apply for a Resident Return Visa

Apply for a Resident Return Visa

Form 1085 is used by permanent residents whose visa has or is about to expire who want to travel abroad and re-enter Australia, or by former Australian citizens who have renounced to their citizenship status.

Fast, Easy, Professional. Let us help you complete your immigration applications today!

Why should I apply for a Resident Return visa?

Only Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia. If you are a non-citizen traveling abroad and would like to return to Australia you are required to have a visa to re-enter the country. Normally, permanent residents can use their permanent resident visa to travel abroad and return to Australia for up to five years from the date the visa was granted. After five years, permanent resident must obtain a Five Year Resident Return visa in order to re-enter the country.

To apply for this visa you must have spent 2 years, within the last 5 living in Australia and be:

  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or resigned your citizenship. For example, because you became a national of another country that did not allow double citizenship.

How long is this visa valid for? What happens if my passport expires?

Resident Return visas (subclass 155) are usually valid for 5 years if you meet the two year residence requirements or hold substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties to Australia. If that is not your case, but you have a strong need to travel internationally you may qualify for a Resident Return visa valid for only 3 months (subclass 157). For example, if you have a family member who is severely ill.

If your passport expires your visa does not become invalid. You may choose to pay the additional processing fees to have it re-issued and stamped in your new passport or travel with both passports-the old one that contains your Resident Return visa and the new one.

How do I apply?

You can apply for a Resident Return visa from inside or outside Australia. You can also apply online or by postal mail filing Form 1085.

You will need to supply supporting documentation to prove:

  • Your identity: Certified copies of your passport; AND
  • Your immigration status: Evidence of your current or former permanent resident visa; OR
  • Your ties with Australia: If you do not meet the residence requirement you must prove your substantial ties with Australia. This may be business, employment, personal or cultural related.

How long does it take?

If you have permanent resident status and file from inside Australia the DHA will aim to process your application within 1 business day. If you file from outside Australia the processing time will be approximately two weeks.

If you are a former permanent resident, the processing times will vary between 6 to 9 months if you apply inside Australia or 9 to 12 months if you are outside Australia at the moment you file your application.

How much does it cost?

In most cases, if you apply online the government filing fee for this visa is $360 and if you post your application by mail it is $80.

IMMIGRATION DIRECT helps you complete your application quickly and accurately, provides 24/7 email support, telephone support
Monday-Friday: 9 a.m - 6 p.m. and automatically generates all the forms you need for your application.


This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By continuing to use our website without changing your settings, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and use of cookies. More InfoGot it