What is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)?
Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) or “TSS visa” is a work visa which allows Australian employers to sponsor a person from overseas to work in their business in Australia.
This particular work visa was introduced on 19 March 2019. It replaced the Temporary Work visa subclass 457 which has been abolished by DHA.
If you have the skills to fill a job position with an Australia employer who is looking to recruit you then you may be eligible for the the TSS visa.
There are three (3) streams to the TSS visa:
- The Short-Term stream
- The Medium-Term stream
- The Labour Agreement stream
You can select the stream that applies to you by referring to the Consolidated Skilled Occupations list. If your occupation make you eligible under the short-term stream then maximum time period that your TSS visa will be approved for is two (2) years. If your occupation makes you eligible under the medium-term stream, then the maximum time period that your TSS visa will be approved for is four (4) years.
What are the eligibility requirements to apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)?
The general requirements of the TSS visa are that:
- You have an occupation on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations list
- You have been nominated for a job position by an Australian employer that wants to recruit you to work for them
- You have the relevant skills and qualifications for your occupation
- You have at least two (2) years of work experience in your occupation
- You have vocational English language ability
- You can satisfy DHA requirements for good character and health
- If you are in Australia, you have a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A, B, or C and you have complied with your visa condition.
Note: There is no age requirement for the TSS visa.
What are the general requirements for employers to apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)?
Employers who sponsor foreign nationals to work in Australia on the TSS visa are required to:
- Be a lawfully operating business
- Have no adverse information against the business
- Nominate a job position for the foreign national worker that is full-time and genuine
- Satisfy salary and employment condition related requirements
- Provide evidence of Labour Market Testing if required
How do I apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)?
Step 1: Check if your occupation is on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation Lists
Step 2: Ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements
You must meet the following requirements in order to apply:
- Have a knowledge of the English language;
- Arrange to have health insurance during your stay in Australia; and
- Meet the health and character checks required for all Australian visa applicants
Step 3: Find an employer who is willing to sponsor you to work in a job position in Australia Employers can complete the employer sponsorship application online through the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
Step 4: Get an employer nomination
Once you find an employer, you will need to have them nominate you for the TSS visa. You can apply for the visa at the same time your employer lodges their applications to sponsor and nominate you. Employers complete the employer nomination application online through the DHA.
Step 5: Apply for the TSS Visa
Once the employer nomination application is submitted, you can apply for the 457 visa online through the DHA.
Step 6: Wait for a decision
It can take several months for the DHA to make a decision on your visa application. In 2018 , the processing time for the TSS visa is 11-18 days.
Step 7: Receive your visa and start working!
Once your application is approved, you will receive your visa and can start work in Australia.