What is a visitor visa?
A visitor visa is used by foreign nationals who wish to visit Australia for short periods of time for tourism, or any of the reasons below:
- Tourism and sightseeing
- Visiting family or friends
- Business activities, such as attending a conference or an exploratory business meeting
- To obtain medical treatment or go to a consultation
You can apply for a Visitor Visa with Form 1419: Application for a Visitor Visa.
Who should apply for a Visitor visa?
If you would like to travel to Australia and your passport is not issued by a country eligible for the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) you may be required to obtain a visa to travel to Australia. You may also be required to obtain a visa if you plan to visit Australia for longer than 3 months.
The countries that are eligible for the ETA are:
- Hong Kong
- Italy (and the Vatican City)
- The Netherlands
- Republic of San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
Can I work or study on a Visitor Visa (subclass 600)?
Paid work is not allowed under the Visitor visa, though voluntary work may be permitted. You cannot enroll in study courses that are longer than three months. That means you might be able to take some courses but if you would like to enroll in longer courses through a school or university, you need to apply for a student visa.
How long can I stay in Australia?
This depends on the type of visa you are issued. Visas may be single or multiple entry and they may be issued for periods of three, six or 12 months.
How do I apply for an Australian Visitor Visa?
You will need to complete Form 1419: Application for a Visitor Visa, submit your completed form to an Australian immigration office (usually, a consulate or embassy), and pay for the application fee.
While you wait for the decision, you will need to prepare the supporting documents:
- Passport, either the original or two copies of the biographical section of your passport if you are sending your application by post mail
- Financial documents to prove that you will be able to support yourself (pay for the hotels and different activities) during your trip. You can either present copies of your bank deposits or statements or any other evidence of funds or assets
- Employment or study documents: to prove your intent (or need) to return your home country after your trip to Australia. A letter of your employer, a copy of your business license or enrollment at the educational institution you attend
You will be notified the outcome of your visa (whether it was approved or not), the period it is valid for and next steps. You will be requested to provide supporting documentation and make a trip to the closest immigration office for an interview.
How much does it cost?
The filing fees for this visa is $140 Australian dollars. Please be aware that the cost of the visas change from time to time, so the cost of your visa might change depending on the date you file your application.