What is a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)?
The Working Holiday Visa is a temporary Australian visa that allows you to work while you travel. These visas are usually issued for a period of 12 months, under a program of cultural exchange between Australia and certain nations with the intention to promote diversity and intercultural understanding. You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 and meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa:
- Hold a valid passport from an eligible country
- Have proof of English proficiency (unless you come from a native-speaking country)
- Meet the education requirement
- Meet the health requirement
- Be outside Australia when this visa is granted (generally, you can only apply for this program once)
- Have sufficient funds to support yourself (generally, around AUD $5,000)
- Have a return ticket or proof of funds for a return ticket
According to the Australian Government, you can not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.
There are two categories of Working Holiday Visas: Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) and the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417). The main difference between these two visas is with is the eligible countries.
Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) Eligible Countries
- United States
What are the benefits of a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)?
The unique thing about this visa is that it allows you to travel Australia and work during your stay. It is a wonderful way to experience the country and continue to have an income.
How can I apply for a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)?
Step 1: Prepare all the required documents, supporting documents
In order to submit a complete application the Australian Government requires you must present:
- Certified copies of the first two (biographical) pages of your passport
- A Certified copy of your Birth Certificate
- Two (2) Recent Passport-style Photos (45mm x 35mm dimensions) with your name written in print on the back of the photo; and
- A certified copy of a bank statement showing you have sufficient funds to support your stay in Australia (showing at least AUD 5,000)
Step 2: Complete Form 1208 Application for a Work and Holiday Visa
If you are a United States national you may apply online on the Australian Government Website. However, for individuals from all other countries must prepare and complete Form 1208.
If you are from Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Thailand or Turkey lodge your application at the Australian Immigration office of your country of passport.
If you are from Malaysia or China you should present your application in person at the Australian Consulate office of your respective country.
If you are from Poland, Portugal or Spain lodge your application at the Australian Immigration office in Berlin. If you are from Uruguay lodge your application at the Australian Immigration office in Buenos Aires.
Step 3: Prepare the payment
Step 4: Wait for a decision
Step 5: Receive your visa and start working and traveling
How much does applying for Work and Holiday Visa cost?
The cost of visas changes from time to time and it can vary depending on the date your application is received. Prices start from AUD $440.00. The fee is usually not refundable, even if your visa application is refused or if you withdraw your application. You may be required to pay additional costs, such as the costs of health assessments and police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements. You must pay the visa application charge when you apply.