What is a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)?
Work in Australia on a temporary basis after you have completed your studies at an Australian educational institution. This visa is divided in two types:
- Graduate Work stream: intended for students who graduate with a qualification within the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). This visa is granted for a maximum of 18 months.
- Post-Study work stream: intended for students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian institution regardless of their field of study. This visa can be granted for a maximum of four years and it is only available for students whose first student visa was granted on or after November 5, 2011.
What Are the Benefits of a Temporary Graduate Visa?
The Temporary Graduate Visa offers the following benefits for you and your family:
- Work and live in Australia on a temporary basis to gain valuable experience in your new profession
- Travel in and out of Australia as you please
Who Can I Apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa?
You must meet the following requirements in order to apply:
- Under age 50
- Competent level English skills
- Meet the health requirements and have medical insurance in Australia
- Meet the character requirements
- Do not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government
- Hold an eligible visa:
- You are the primary holder of a student visa
- Your student visa has recently expired within the last six months and you are now on on a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B
In addition you must not have had an Australian visa application refused or cancelled since you last entered Australia. Some student visas may have no further stay conditions attached to the visa. For the majority, you can still apply for a temporary graduate visa unless you are an AusAID or defence sector sponsored student.